No Reservations Needed – The Hid’n Pines Camping Squirrel
Whenever we help one of our customers choose the perfect camping site for their Hid’n Pines vacation one of their first requests is privacy. Everybody is looking for a serene spot and hope for quiet neighbors. We have plenty of sites that deliver just that! But what about those friendly neighbors that don’t need a reservation?
The least shy of our cherished New England wildlife is no doubt the squirrel. With its heart-melting brown eyes and cute fluffy tail, this tree acrobat enchants and mesmerizes all of us from toddlers to seniors. They are always on a mission to gather food or to play and they offer quite a show. Did you know that there are over 350 species of squirrels in North America? At Hid’n Pines you can say hello to the gray squirrel on a daily basis.
I am sure that you have all met them in your Maine camping ventures. Whether you are camping in the middle of the woods or in busy Old Orchard Beach, these “year-round campers” always keep their eyes on the fun happening around the campground, especially all of the yummy food being BBQ’d and enjoyed by all of our guests!
National Squirrel Appreciation Day, was recently celebrated on January 21st. This inspired us to share with you some of the reasons we are grateful for having these adorable campground buddies around:
- Tree maintenance work trimming leaves and twigs for nest-building!
- They help to keep the insects under control that might bother you while camping.
- They forget where they bury their nuts and seeds, which results in more trees!
- Squirrels make great characters: just think The Ice Age trilogy and The Nut Job are among my favorite animated movies
- They are very trusting animals. They are of the very few wild animal species which will get close to you to ask for food.
- The squirrel is the Native American symbol for preparation, trust and thriftiness.
Do you know any other interesting facts and experiences involving squirrels? We would love to hear your “nutty” stories about these friendly camping neighbors!
Interested in making a camping reservation for the 2016 season? Call our office anytime between 8AM and 4PM Monday through Saturday.